Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Job One: Experiences of New Professionals in Student Affairs (American College Personnel Association Series)


  • ISBN13: 9780761827849
  • Condition: New
  • Notes: BRAND NEW FROM PUBLISHER! 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Tracking provided on most orders. Buy with Confidence! Millions of books sold!
"I wonder how long it will be before someone misses me, and I try to remember if I have any appointments this week. I don't think so. Then I wonder if Teresa or my landlady would sense something wrong if I didn't answer the telephone. I doubt that, too. Then I begin to hope that perhaps Quick has really "put someone on me," and I remember telling Casey that Quick saw all. But I know that no one really does, except perhaps God, so I pray a little. I imagine myself as the condemned man with his life flashing, but I do not know what I have been condemned for - or by whom." While scenes of the war in Afghanistan and Iraq dominate today's news, this elegant novel provides an insight into an ear! lier attempt by America to install a democracy in a formerly totalitarian state that is undergoing a revolution. Sectarian violence, language problems, CIA and State Department goofs all contribute to the occasionally lovely but ultimately sad experiences of a well-meaning American professor who becomes intimately and tragically involved with a lovely woman and the deteriorating political scene. "John Clark Pratt wrote one of the truly great Vietnam War novels, The Laotian Fragments, and now he has written a comparably great novel that resonates strongly into our present unsettled times. American Affairs is worldly wise and richly moody and absolutely compelling reading. Pratt is a worthy descendant of Graham Greene." --ROBERT OLEN BUTLER, novelist and Pulitzer Prizewinner. "American Affairs is superb. It is a timeless tale of love and upheaval with tragic results. Having been an American Foreign Service Officer in Portugal, I can attest that! John Pratt's graceful novel of the last Cold War struggle ! captures a poignant vignette of this century." --CRESCENCIO ARCOS, former US Ambassador and Regional Vice-President of International Affairs to South America.In Job One, editors Peter Magolda and Jill Carnaghi place new professionals' stories "center stage." The book focuses on nine narratives written by new professionals about their introduction and transitions into Student Affairs work. These stories document the joys and angst felt as new professionals prepare to transition from graduate school-to-work, search for their first Student Affairs position, assimilate campus norms, formulate a professional identity, satisfy supervisors' expectations, mediate cultural conflicts, and remain true to their personal and professional values. This book is a useful resource inviting new professionals, supervisors, and faculty to think differently about the on-going education and needs of new professionals, while offering a new perspective for optimizing new professionals' ! experiences. Co-published with American College Personnel Association.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 

web log free